Thursday, August 28, 2008

I am an American

Today is a big day. Almost twelve years after I entered this country, I am an American Citizen. I was sworn in at Faneuil Hall, the cradle of American liberty. It is an an emotional moment. There is so much to say for a nation that has given me so much. My citizenship doesn't diminish my love for India (where I grew up) or my respect for the United Kingdom (my country of birth and citizenship). What I can say for now is that I am proud of being an American and grateful to be granted the privilege.

America is truly one nation where one can pursue one's dreams and where anything is possible. My thoughts are better expressed in the White House letter that was given to all 379 citizens today from 79 countries:

Our country has never been united by blood or birth or soil. We are bound by principles that move us beyond our backgrounds, lift us above our interests, and teach us what it means to be citizens. (the entire letter is below the picture)

It is a big day and a time to celebrate with my family of Americans.

And have a Budweiser in celebration !



Dear Fellow Americans

I am pleased to congratulate you on becoming a United States citizen. You are now part of a great and blessed Nation. I know your family and friends are proud of you on this special day.

Americans are united across the generations by grand and enduring ideals. The grandest of these ideals is an unfolding promise that everyone belongs, that everyone deserves a chance, and that no insignificant person was ever born. Our country has never been united by blood or birth or soil. We are bound by principles that move us beyond our backgrounds, lift us above our interests, and teach us what it means to be citizens. Every citizen must uphold these principles. And every new citizen, by embracing these ideals, makes our country more, not less, American.

As you begin to participate fully in our democracy, remember that what you do is as important as anything government does. I ask you to serve your new Nation, beginning with your neighbor. I ask you to be citizens building communities of service and a Nation of character. Americans are generous and strong and decent not because we believe in ourselves, but because we hold beliefs beyond ourselves. When this spirit of citizenship is missing, no government program can replace it. When this spirit is present, no wrong can stand against it.

Welcome to the joy, responsibility, and freedom of American citizenship. God bless you, and God bless America

The President

1 comment: